Pages

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Not in Kansas

Now that the culture shock has subsided and I am starting to adapt to the Swiss culture and way of living, I'm beginning to appreciate the differences. Everyone always knows the big differences between countries like the currency, the language and the time change but it's always the little things that know one never knows about. When I say everything thing is different, I do truly mean EVERYTHING. Anything from school to the light switches or the bread to the pillows, they're all different. At first it was a bit shocking to move to this new place where everything is unfamiliar and strange, the hardest part of it was knowing that I was going to be staying in the unfamiliar place for 3 months, not being able to have familiarity for 11 weeks. Then, very slowly, the first week goes by and you've recovered from jet lag and shell shock, and then everything, the uncertainty, the nostalgia, the anxiety they all slowing disappear and are replaced with excitement, comfort and stability and you begin to feel at home in this place that is the very opposite of what you've always considered home. Although everything is different I'm finally getting used to the changes and starting to welcome this new life of mine and appreciate in while it lasts for the short time that I will be living this amazing experience.    

No comments:

Post a Comment